Saturday, November 24, 2012

Humans In a New Society



Since I decided to 'go public' with my book, I'd have to admit my sales have been rather modest.  I think a lot of people have a tough time wrapping their heads around the concept of the book.  There are a lot of 'what if's' that my premise invites.

In the end, I intended to make a core story about the group of halfkinds vs the team sent to kill them.  This basic premise could have been applied to any background really, but the setting of a society of various intelligent species makes way for some  interesting scenarios.  I really enjoyed mapping out who would be allied with who, based on their animal backgrounds.  I feel like my choices are logical, dogs would naturally ally with humans, while the wolves would hate the dogs for being suck ups to a species that have brought so much destruction to their kind.

This was just a small sample of the things I thought about when building the foundations of the society my story would be placed in.  The core of the story is always about the outcasts vs the majority, but the setting adds the one thing that sets it apart from the cliche.  My intention is to let the reader see the similarities from this imaginary society and the one we live in today.  Some are obvious, some are not, but I wanted to make something that isn't just a cookie cutter sci fi book, I wanted to write something that went a little beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment